15 February 2007

The District

Tiruvannamalai District came into existence on 30th September 1989 after the bifurcation of the erstwhile North Arcot District. The District lies between 11.55 (degrees) and 13.15 (degrees) North latitude and 78.20 (degrees) to 79.50 (degrees) East longitude. The District is bounded on the north and west by Vellore District, on the southwest by Krishnagiri District, on the south by Villupuram District and on the east by Kanchipuram District.

The Total Geographical Area of Tiruvannamalai District is 6191 sq.kms, comprising the Revenue Divisions of Tiruvannamalai and Cheyyar. The District has six taluks viz; Tiruvannamalai, Chengam, Polur, Arni, Cheyyar and Vandavasi. There are 18 Blocks, including one tribal Block, Javvadhu Hills constituting the district under Rural sector and four Municipalities viz; Tiruvannamalai, Arni, Cheyyar (Thiruvathipuram), Vandavasi representing urban sectors along with Polur selection grade Town Panchayat.

Tiruvannamalai District is bounded on the North and West by Vellore District and on the South West by Krishnagiri District on the South Villupuram District and on the East by Kanchipuram District.

One sixth of the area of this District is Covered by reserve forest and hills which is part and parcel of Eastern Ghats under Javvadhu Hills. The important hills in this district are Tiruvannamalai (2668ft 79.80 MSL), Javvadhu hills (2500ft MSL) and Kailasagiri (2743ft MSL).

Red loamy soil is predominantly found here. The District has also different types of soils such as ferrogenous loamy and sandy loamy. The general climate is tropical. Tiruvannamalai District receives rainfall from North East and South West monsoons.

As per the most recent population census (i.e. 2001) total population of this District is 2,181,853; comprising 1,093,191 Men and 1,088,662 women. The urban population is 400,549 constituting 18% of the total Population, the remaining 82% ie.1,781,304 is rural population. The density of the population is 352 per sq.km. The total literate among male are 773,367 and that of female 544,284.

There is no perennial river in the district. Cheyyar, Thenpennai, Kamandala Naganathi are only seasonal. SATHANUR DAM is constructed across Thenpennai river in Chengam taluk among Chennakesava Hills.

Tiruvannamalai District is industrially backward. The SLS cotton spinning mill is the only major industry and in Annakkavoor and Polur, sugar mills are functioning. However medium and small scale industries as well as cottage industries, such as modern rice mills, weaving factories, cotton, silk and mat-weaving, coir manufacturing and beedi manufacturing are flourishing. The District is enriched in mineral deposits such as black granites, multi-coloured granites, soap and magnesite deposits. Paddy, Groundnut, Sugarcane, Millets and pulses are the District's major crops and two milk chilling plants are in operation. Tourism and resources for Pilgrimage are becoming increasingly major revenue generators of the District.

No comments: